1) MegaProps to DiPoto for being completely unconcerned about justifying himself on the Smith-Elias deal. When circumstances changed for him, and the landscape became different, DiPoto even flipped Miley back for a player who -- apples to apples Obviously -- comes off to be 50% of his original investment. He didn't even try to create plausible deniability. I love it.
2) Just at a glance, Miranda:
- Is from Cuba
- Is very early in his career but is ML-ready
- Has a 92-95 fastball
- Has a slider with excellent speed delta (like, -12 MPH or something)
- Throws a third pitch, a split, a lot of the time, so is a 3-pitch guy
That reminds you of some recent Mariner, though Miranda is not 50 major league starts into his own player development.
Here's a visual look at a fairly Elias-like slider.
Actually, Dr. D has always been partial to quick lefties with three pitches and a split. Has been since Chuck Finley, and we tripled down on that when Jeff Fassero got here. The arsenal is visually appealing, is all we mean.
3) NOT denying that Ariel Miranda :: Roenis Elias might not be Kyle Seager :: Dustin Ackley. Haven't even looked at Miranda beyond the 2 minutes to get the comments thread up. Presumably, DiPoto thinks Miranda::Elias IS a Seager-Ackley situation. He had at least four teams bidding on Miley, and DiPoto selected this as his favorite return.
So, Dr. D will duck his head and hope for a King Leonydas-level grok on JeDi's part. His first impression is that Miranda throws his pitches with more focused conviction than Elias did. Perhaps JeDi was thinking something along these lines. Dunno.
4) Miranda is not in BaseballHQ's books on any level.
In AAA, Miranda was very, very consistent from one month to the next. As a starting pitcher, he fanned 8.0 men per nine, walked 2.5, gave up a mid-range 1.1 homers. This is dissimilar to Elias' pout-fest when he was in AAA.
5) The M's website gives the rotation as Felix-Zeus-LeBLANC-Iwakuma-TBA, with Taijuan coming on strong and Karns to the DL. Perhaps in the last few hours here we'll haul in a TOR. 'twould be okay by SSI.
Wade LeBlanc, cool. I think I like him better now than after he made his big splash, like his chances to run a 110 ERA+ better. Never did think he was going to win 200 games from here :- ) but certainly wouldn't rule out his chances to win 50.
6) The O's called up Miranda to relieve from the left side -- first outing, 2.0 IP, 0 BB, 4K, but four hits. Could be he'll make a difference in 7th innings when two lefty bats are coming up - or could be the M's will throw him a start before Taijuan gets here? Would love to get a look.
7) Either DiPoto is doing his bosses a solid, clearing $$$ he didn't have to .... or else DiPoto has a salaried incoming later today. Would guess the former, but.... July 31 only comes once a year :- )